Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Retro Housewife Survival Guide - Home Based Business

Work From Home! Make $10,000 A Day!


I have been meaning to comment on those ads for some time now, and what with the economy falling apart, and people getting to be on the desperate side, now seems like a good time to do it. Here is my somewhat educated opinion on them:
  1. I know for a fact that there are people who make that kind of money and more "working from home on their computer".
  2. They are not going to tell you their secret; Not for free, not for $19.95 or $99.95 - Not even for $10,000. Would you?
  3. The "experts" behind the ads intend to make that kind of money themselves - from you - when you send them $19.95 to learn their secrets. The real money makers are hiding in their closets, hoping nobody notices them, and are beginning to think the postman is spying on them.
That said, it is actually entirely reasonable to consider starting up a business from home - with little more than your computer and an Internet connection. And lots and lots of work. There are many different ways to do it - the Internet has opened up thousands of possibilities and with a bit of creativity and lots of perseverance, you too can work from home. Here are some ways to do it:
(Today I will cover a few low-tech options - these are some ideas I have had, and are not gimmicks and will require you to work at them and develop a customer base, and you probably won't make much in the beginning, but there is no reason why you won't in the longish run, if you keep at it and learn from your mistakes - just like anybody else starting a business.)

Hint: Try these ideas out on family and friends before you jump in with both feet - it'll help you figure out what will work for you - and you'll probably have some brilliant ideas of your own along the way.
  1. Rebate Redeemer - See my previous post on rebates - the critical part being how many people never redeem their rebates. (Not only do people forget to cash in their rebates, many also fail to use those lovely gift cards that you can buy just about everywhere now.) You can start a service where you redeem people's rebates for them, and charge them a fee to do it, or take a cut of the cash back. I'll leave that up to you to figure out.
  2. Professional Shopper - Spend a lot of time shopping online? Know where to find the best deals? Do it for others - for free! (At least for no out of pocket expense for them, because you will get paid...) How does this work? Let's use Amazon.com as an example. Suppose your sister wants to buy some new make-up from Sephora she has seen the Sephora Brand Deluxe Palette - Collector's Edition ($200 Value) and wants to buy it. She knows you are starting a business so she asks you to get it for her. You hop onto Amazon.com, see that they are selling it for $32.00 + $5.95 in shipping and you buy it for your sister. Of course, before you bought it, you first signed up as an Amazon Associate and followed the instructions Amazon provides on how to earn commissions through their program.

    Now suppose your neighbor Sally wants the same thing. Now you are purchasing $64 from Amazon (Actually, Sephora via Amazon) and it just so happens that Sephora offers free shipping on orders of $50 or more - so you combine the 2 orders - you just saved your sister and your neighbor Sally $5.95 each in shipping charges. In other words, you have provided a valuable service. You earned a commission from Amazon by referring them business (See Amazon for % commission rates). There are some details you need to work out - like how to pay for the items - your sister'll fork over her credit card, but your neighbor Sally'll want to give you cash. Do you bill them? Get the money up-front (least risky for you most risky for them). You will have to work that out on your own, but I am sure you'll find a solution.

Daily Coupons:
  1. Botanic Choice coupon code: Take $20 off your order of $40 or more at Botanic Choice - 99th Anniversary Sale Use Promo Code BC99Y - valid through April 30, 2009. Botanic choice sells vitamins and health food stuff.
  2. Amazon.com coupon codes: Save up to 30% on McCann's oatmeal Save an additional 15% instantly when you purchase select McCann's products sold by Amazon.com. Enter code OATMEA98 at checkout. Plus, save an additional 15% when you combine this instant rebate with your Subscribe & Save order--bringing the total savings to 30%. Offer valid through March 31, 2009.

    McCann's CouponI recently discovered that Amazon sells groceries - and sometimes the prices and offers are great - especially for stuff I buy in bulk. - My kids love McCann's oatmeal.
  3. Here's a coupon code for Kraft Salad dressings at Amazon: Save $10 today when you spend $29 or more on eligible Kraft products sold by Amazon.com. Use the following promotional code when you check out: SALADTOP. Offer valid through March 31, 2009.
  4. Coupon code for: Orville Redenbacher, Pemmican, Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice, Swiss Miss and More. Save $10 today when you spend $49 or more on eligible Orville Redenbacher, Pemmican, and more sold by Amazon.com. Use the following promotional code when you check out: CNAGAMZN. Offer valid through March 31, 2009.
  5. 20% Off Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa Save 20% today when you buy any eligible Ghirardelli hot beverages sold by Amazon.com. Use the following promotional code when you check out: CHOCO222. Offer valid through March 31, 2009.
  6. PG Tips Tea: Up to 35% Off Save up to 35%. Save an additional 20% instantly when you purchase select PG Tips products sold by Amazon.com. Enter code PGTIPS31 at checkout. Plus, save an additional 15% when you combine this instant rebate with your Subscribe & Save order--bringing the total savings to 35%. Offer valid through March 31, 2009
  7. 20% Off BaconnaiseBaconnaise Coupon Save 20% today on any eligible Baconnaise when you buy either eligible J&D's Bacon Salt Sampler sold by Amazon.com. Use the following promotional code when you check out: BACON333. Offer valid through March 31, 2009.
  8. Kraft Jell-O Coupon: $10 Off Kraft Jell-O and More Save $10 today when you spend $49 or more on eligible Kraft dessert products sold by Amazon.com. Use the following promotional code when you check out: DESERT49. Offer valid through March 31, 2009.

No comments: