I have a little story about 2 dishwashers, both made by GE or General Electric, one around 2003 and the other around 1983. So about 20 years apart. The new GE dishwasher came with our new house and is the biggest hunk of junk on the planet. It cleans nothing unless it is washed beforehand and started falling apart the first year we moved in. The top rack wheels fell off, so the rack sags and has to be lifted and pulled out to load it. The rubber seals are cracking and falling off and if there is any food left on the dishes it gets caught in the screen and sits there. I hate this dishwasher. It wastes water due to the fact that all dishes must first be rinsed completely, and I am constantly running around telling my family members to SOAK THEIR DISHES!
Now the 1983 GE dishwasher is a powerhouse. It came with our cabin in the mountains and I verified that it was in fact the original dishwasher, and was built in in 1983. First, there is the obvious fact that the dishwasher is still working 26 years later - in a house that served the previous owners as a rental unit - (think groups of gung-ho skier types using the dishwasher for 26 years). Second, it actually cleans dishes and without washing them before they get loaded into the dishwasher. It is a power hog, but I don't care - it gets the job done and can deal with disposing of food remains on its own, so that when I open the dishwasher after a cycle, both the dishes and the dishwasher are spanking clean. I love my 1983 GE dishwasher.
Back then, it probably cost a lot more compared to what my 2003 dishwasher did today- there were simply no cheap appliances. But, they were intended to last, and last they did. My 2003 dishwasher needs to be replaced - and will be as soon as we can afford to buy a decent dishwasher. I want a Miele or a Bosch. These days, it doesn't come into my house if it isn't German. They cost more, but they are built like they used to be built in America. I had a Miele when I lived in Munich (a skinny little thing) but it was quiet and it cleaned dishes. Good qualities in a dishwasher.
Some Stores For Quality Shopping and the Daily Coupons:
- Orvis coupon: FREE 18" x 27" Leaf or Grid Pattern mat with the purchase of any two Water Trapper Mats (any size/st
- Orvis coupon: 30% OFF UNIQUE DEALS
- Orvis coupon: $20 OFF COZY SLIPPERS
- Orvis: For your bow-wow-woof woof: big fat savings on DOG BEDS & ACCESSORIES
- Maryland Square coupon code: (Shoes) 20% Off All Orders! Click and enter coupon code: SAVE20 at check out. Promotion ends March 29, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. CST (got that one out of their newsletter...)
- Bosch Appliance rebate: Bosch $1,000 Visa Prepaid Card rebate! I found this rebate at AJ Madison - and here is an aj madison coupon code: Save $50 off every order over $1999! Use coupon code: XE61S808 (on www.ajmadison.com). Here is another aj madison coupon code: Save $20 off every order over $999! Use coupon code: 46JZ5K5A And one more! Save $5 off every order over $499! Use coupon code: 8AE6QVT7
- Lands' End coupon code:
20% OFF - MOST EVERYTHING! Enter the Promotion Code SPRINGTIME and the PIN 5926 in the space provided.