- On Obama's spending plan: It is a scary number. - In general, I think we need less government spending, not more. However, I voted for Barack Obama for a reason. Not because he is black, but because for the first time since I can remember, actually since Ronald Reagan, the things that come out of his mouth make sense.
Reagan took office during a time of recession but still began an unprecedented defense build-up which created unprecedented deficits. It was a time when America was perceived to be weak and vulnerable by the rest of the world which creates a very dangerous situation for US AND the rest of the world.
In the end, Reagan was right. The economy grew, the deficits subsided, and we went on our merry way. Oh yeah, the Soviet Union collapsed and lots of people got to stop living under repressive dictatorships.
Obama took office at a time when our financial system was on the brink of collapse. He was FORCED to take extreme measures - all of you complaining about him would be screaming at the top of your lungs if he had not done so. Because this is what your life would have looked like:
I am not exaggerating or being dramatic, the economy was about to go into a tailspin. We are not out of the woods yet, but for the time being, it seems we may have averted disaster.
It would have been nice if Obama had been able to inherit a government in control of its spending, but the previous administration, despite being the party supposedly advocating fiscal conservatism, had already spent us into a hole. They did so by lying to us. The monies spent on Iraq were not included in the official budget deficit figures.
If you want less of a deficit, talk to your representatives in Congress. I got an email from Barbara Boxer bragging about how she had secured big subsidies for almond growers in California. I am still not sure why I should think it is a good thing for my tax dollars to be given to almond growers instead of getting to keep them myself. But then I will not be voting for Barbara Boxer or any of her democratic ilk.
- I am tired of half-wits that don't have 10% of the intelligence that Obama does, blathering on and criticizing his every word. I heard what he said about his criteria for choosing a new supreme court justice. It was a very reasonable, rational explanation of how he would go about it. I understand Obama has some experience in the area of constitutional law. I wonder how many of those TV idiots can spell "constitution".
- What we really need to be concerned about is the trend of state governments to completely ignore the will of the people and enact legislation, such as the legalization of gay marriage, which the public clearly does not want.
- For Californians: If you vote for Propositions 1A - 1F, please get in touch with me because I have some great deals on a bridge in Brooklyn and some land in Florida. I will sell them to you for 2 cents on the dollar! What a DEAL!
- To Gavin Newsom: It will be a cold day in Hell before I would consider voting for you to be Governor of California.
Thursday, May 07, 2009
The Political Housewife - Dag Nab It
I just wanted to make a few quick points:
Posted by Retro Housewife at 09:42