Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Spanish Creep

"Religion and language are the two great dividers of humanity." Emanuel Kant

“We have got to eliminate the gringo, and what I mean by that is if the worst comes to the worst, we have got to kill him.”
Jose Angel Gutierrez, the recipient of La Raza's 1994 “Hero Award” The honoree said this in 1969.
In 1994, when he was a political science professor at the University of Texas at Arlington, Gutierrez added this to the discussion of national demographic change:

“We are millions. We just have to survive. We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. It’s a matter of time. The explosion is in our population.”

The Washington Post reported that Gutierrez “led a delegation to Cuba in 1975, publicly praised its Communist government, and predicted that many more “little Cubas” would be created in south Texas


Earlier this evening, I took my son to Kohl's to do some last minute back to school shopping. I rarely venture out into actual 3-D stores anymore, so I am not sure this is anything new - but they were running those "attention shoppers" announcements in English and then Spanish.

I found this to be extremely irritating. Not because I don't like Spanish - as languages go it is one of the nicer ones. I think it is the fact that it is yet another reminder that me and my family are being pushed aside to accommodate the apparent heirs to California. I really wonder if those rotten politicians are planning on giving California "back" to Mexico.

Yesterday, my hubby had to call the assessors office to fight the property tax increase they slapped on us when we refinanced (2nd time in 6 years) - and had to listen to the 20 second blah blah in English - and then another 20 seconds of the same thing in Spanish before getting the option menu.

Imagine the time and money we are wasting with this politically correct hogwash. No other country in the world is stupid enough to try and have two languages coexist. The incidents I am talking about are trivial and mere annoyances - but it won't be long until the sand being thrown into the gears of our society start to cause more serious problems. There are already large areas in California where it is difficult to find somebody who speaks English, and it won't be long until they start dropping the bilingual criteria for government positions and hiring Spanish only speakers.

Another thing that really bugs me are the little inserts that my gas and electric companies stick in every bill announcing that they will give low income households a 20% discount. It's not that I mind helping out low-income families, I don't, it's the knowledge that a good many of those people I am helping to subsidize have no right to be here in the first place. (Don't think for one second that the 20% comes out of company profits - those subsidies mean we pay more.)

What amazes me is that people just stand by and let it happen. Nancy Pelosi et al are giving our country away right under our noses and there doesn't seem to be a damn thing we can do about it.

RH



APRIL 7, 2011 UPDATE:  On my recent trip to Sacramento to voice my support for California State Assembly Member Tim Donnelly's citizen justice bill, a lady told me her story of how she lost her job as an accountant due to the fact that she didn't speak Spanish. She lives in Los Angeles. Imagine growing up in a place where English is spoken by everybody, newcomers and old-timers. Then suddenly people come pouring in over the border and within 10 year's time, you find yourself unable to find employment because the language of the latest newcomers has squelched out your own. It is pulling the rug out from under people - usually the ones who have the least ability to pack up and leave.


PS: I read a letter to the editor in the local paper two days ago in which a woman was describing a parade in Oxnard - the Fire Department brought their trucks to be in the parade and were waving flags out the window as they drove in the procession. Mexican Flags.

PPS: In case you are inclined to leave an insult in response to this posting like the very brave Anonymous, put a little thought into it and explain why you think I am an idiot and/or disgusting for feeling the way I do.

Specifically:
  1. Why is it that I am not supposed to say that I am unhappy about feeling like a stranger in my own country - the place I have called home for most of my life?

  2. Why can't I object to the fact that half the population converses in a language I don't understand - and that now businesses and public offices are starting to do the same - further compounding my sense of alienation?

  3. Am I supposed to just pay and pay and pay to support people who are here in violation of the laws of this country? Are you telling me that I can't even object? Why is it that you believe I should have no recourse or possibility of remedy for a situation which I believe to be unfair?

  4. Why is it that you think I don't matter?
Related Issue: Ensuring Jobs go to citizens and legal residents
These California politicians just voted for a bill prohibiting any level of government from requiring that an Employer use the eVerify system. For example, as I understand this, if the local government in, say, Santa Barbara wants to ensure jobs go to legal residents and try to pass a law saying "if you employ people in Santa Barbara, you have to make sure they are here legally" They can't. This bill would prohibit it.

These are the politicians who are making sure businesses can keep on hiring illegal immigrants: Alquist, Calderon, Cedillo, Corbett, Correa, DeSaulnier, Ducheny, Florez, Hancock, Kehoe, Leno, Liu, Lowenthal, Maldonado, Negrete McLeod, Oropeza, Padilla, Price, Romero, Simitian, Steinberg, Wiggins, Wolk, Wright, Yee

The unemployment rate in California is currently 12.1%.

Related Issue: What is going to happen in the next big earthquake in California if any of the construction done by illegal immigrants is substandard? In 1995 roughly 10,000 people died in a major earthquake that struck Kobe and Osaka, Japan. Investigations concluded that so many buildings collapsed because of corruption in the Japanese construction industry. Since we here in California have both earthquakes and rampant corruption amongst builders and contractors, might we be sitting on a ticking time bomb? The illegal immigrants may or may not be as skilled as their legal counterparts, however, the safety mechanism went out the window when building went under the table.

I wonder whether it takes any skill to build in such a way such that the building won't topple when an earthquake of any substantial magnitude hits. Or is this fully in the hands of the architect? Does anybody know? Please respond it you do.

For those that call me "disgusting" and claim the moral high ground
  1. Congressional Testimony: How Mass Immigration Hurts Black Americans
  2. An Immigration Raid Aids Blacks For A Time
  3. Black Activists Say Immigration Shortcuts Are Not A Civil Right Issue
  4. A Working Man’s Views on Illegal Immigration, Tricks of The Trade
  5. How Illegal Immigration Impacts our Members

Heard of Aztlan?
  1. DHS?: Our Border A Southwest Border Civic Network La Voz de Aztlan's Page - This appears to be a site put up by the US Department of Homeland Security. I am thinking it must be a hoax... anybody know?
  2. Aztlan.net
  3. Uh Oh - Could cause a liberal's head to burst: What's With The California Teachers Association Giving The "Sodomites" $1 Million Dollars?
  4. Children in public schools in my hometown learn about Aztlan:Aztlan
    The myth of Aztlan can best be explained by California's Santa Barbara School District's Chicano Studies textbook, "The Mexican American Heritage" by East Los Angeles high school teacher Carlos Jimenez. On page 84 there is a redrawn map of Mexico and the United States, showing Mexico with a full one-third more territory, all of it taken back from the United States. On page 107, it says "Latinos are now realizing that the power to control Aztlan may once again be in their hands."
  5. La Voz de Aztlan compliments Antonio Villaraigosa for never repudiating MEChA under the intense pressure exerted by the English language media.
  6. Racist graduation ceremony... Mecha de Sonoma
  7. The US According To Mecha

    The US According To MeCHa
  8. MEChA Plants: Members of these radical, anti-American, racist organizations are frequently smoothly polished into public respectability by the National Council of La Raza. Former MEChA members include: Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who was officially endorsed by La Raza for mayor and was awarded La Raza’s Graciela Olivarez Award. Now we know why he refuses to condemn a sea of foreign flags in his city. California Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante is also a former MEChA member. He delivered the keynote address at La Raza’s 2002 Annual Convention. The National Council of La Raza and its allies in public office make no repudiation of the radical MEChA and its positions. In fact, as recently as 2003, La Raza was actively funding MEChA, according to federal tax records.
  9. Imagine Robert Byrd’s refusing to disavow the views of the KKK, or if Strom Thurmond had failed to admit segregation was wrong. Imagine Heritage or Brookings Foundation making grants to the American Nazi Party. Is the National Council of La Raza itself a racist organization? Regardless of the organization’s suspect ties, the majority of its members are not. When one examines all the organization’s activities, they are commendable non-profit projects, such as education and housing programs. But even these defensible efforts raise the question of whether education and housing programs funded with federal tax dollars should be used in programs specifically targeted to benefit just one ethnic group. Source
  10. NCLR has changed their website - looking for the pages...


The Meaning of “La Raza”

The term “La Raza” — “The Race” — became problematic for the National Council of La Raza as it grew from its roots in the Chicano movement of the late 1960s, when radical Mexican Americans asserted a separatist political and cultural agenda.

The Chicano movement embraced the ideology of Mexican intellectual Jose Vasconcelos, who wrote that the joining of the indigenous people of Latin America and the Spanish conquistadors was producing “la raza cosmica,” the cosmic race. As Chicano nationalism surged in the 1960s, the movement embraced it. Scholars Guillermo Lux and Maurilio E. Vigil wrote: “Vasoncelos developed a systematic theory which argued that climatic and geographic conditions and mixture of Spanish and Indian races created a superior race.”61

“La raza” was a source of pride for many Latinos, the most militant of whom adopted the motto: “Por la raza todo, fuera de la raza nada” — “For the race, everything, outside the race, nothing.” But it drew resistance from many leaders who sought a place for their people within the broader American society. Cesar Chavez was one of the most outspoken critics.

“I hear about la raza more and more,” Chavez told biographer Peter Matthiessen. “Some people don’t look at it as racism, but when you say ‘la raza,’ you are saying an anti-gringo thing, and our fear is that it won’t stop there. Today it’s anti-gringo, tomorrow it will be anti-Negro, and the day after it will be anti-Filipino, anti-Puerto Rican. And then it will be anti-poor-Mexican, and anti-darker-skinned Mexican Source

My Comment: So, Cesaer Chavez was fine with la raza being anti-white, but worries about other races? We celebrate this racist with Cesaer Chavez day?

UC RIVERSIDE - PLOT TO RETAKE AZTLANThe Mexicano Political Experience In Occupied Aztlan: Struggles And ChangeMemo to blacks: - and other so-called people of color, please note that that you are not included in the retaken Aztlan - Our esteemed UC Riverside Professor, Dr. Navarro expects "white and black flight" out of the re-colonized parts of California, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico and Nevada aka Atzlan.

Dr. Armando Navarro, author of the book, "The Mexicano Political Experience In Occupied Aztlan: Struggles And Change" declared yesterday that ". . . Mexicanos and Latinos must be prepared to once again go to the streets." Professor Navarro added, "Regardless what immigration reform is passed either in 2007 or in 2009 or in the future, the "immigration crisis" impacting the U.S. and the Western Hemisphere will not end without major economic change occurring within the "Neo-liberal" economic systems of the Western Hemisphere."

84 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...I was really excited about your blog and website until I read this. How sad that people have to air their idiocy in what might otherwise be a useful and information-filled blog. I won't be reading it to find out. Disgusting.

Retro Housewife said...

How sad that people like you disregard the legitimate concerns of others as idiocy and find them disgusting.

What an utterly useless comment. All you did was insult me - anonymously at that. Is that what you think is intelligent? You are a big fat chicken coward that somehow managed to climb atop a really high horse.

There. In your eyes I must be genius now.

RH

Ann said...

I absolutely agree with you! California has only one official language - English.
As a immigrant myself (I'm Swedish and living in France) I know it's up to me to learn the language in my new country. Not the other way around!
But there are several countries in the world that have more than one official language: Canada, Finland, Belgium, Switzerland, for instance.

Ann

Ms. Wobbly Bits said...

Your post reminds me of all those white people shouting in protest, "I want my America (the one you stole and invaded from the native american indians..how hipocritical)just are really saying "I want my white country back". White people migrated here too remember? I see where you are coming from and from my perspective it looks like its fear. You are afraid of changes in the country, you are afraid of being the minority now, and perhaps afraid that we will treat you the same way you have treated us all these decades. FEAR. There is a booming hispanic population and we have a black president NO its not the same america from 100 years ago and THANK GOD FOR THAT!

Retro Housewife said...

Re: Ann

French is only spoken in Quebec, and Quebec wants its independence from the rest of Canada.

Switzerland has 4 official languages, but each language is spoken in a specific region i.e. geographically separate. While many Swiss claim to speak more than one of their languages, it has been my experience that this ability is limited to school knowledge - Try speaking German to a Swiss from Geneva or surrounding areas and you get nowhere. Highly educated Swiss may speak several, but this won't help you take a bus in Geneva.

Belgium: From yahoo answers: What is the main language spoken in Belgium? Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
If you asked this question in Belgium you'd better be ready for a fight. It's a huge issue there. About 60% of the country speaks French, and about 30-35% speak Dutch (Flemish).

And there is also a separatist movement in little old Belgium: Why do some Belgians want to become French? - if you ask me, if it causes this much divisiveness in a country like Belgium, we are asking for real trouble allowing it to happen here.

I don't know beans about Finland so I can't comment.

Retro Housewife said...

Ms. Wobbly Bits.

What do you know about how I treat people? As far as I know, I have never met you so I find it odd that you are accusing me of treating people badly, for any reason.

I understand what you are implying, however, you are making an obscenely racist statement about me based on what you think my skin color is.

Neither I nor any of my ancestors ever stole anything from the Indians - not that I have much sympathy for that argument - that was the way of the world back then and you are deriving just as much benefit from that as I am.

In fact, one of the biggest stealers of land was Spain, who managed to grab quite a bit for themselves, including parts of what is now California. But again, irrelevant.

The issue is now simply: are we a society of laws and are we a democracy?

In fact, we are not. We have laws regarding immigration and they are being completely ignored.

Those laws are there for a specific reason, namely to limit immigration to numbers that we as a society can absorb - and by absorb I mean turn the newcomers into Americans, with allegiance to the United States Of America. English speaking, gun toting, bible thumping or smug producing, gun hating, godless Americans who retain a certain fondness from wherever they came from, but are heart and soul Red, White and Blue.

Because, young lady, once we lose the ability to do that, we open the door to the experience of the rest of the world which has always been dominated by war, bloodshed, genocide, hatred and/or fighting over some stupid rock in the middle of the Aegean.

If you had any brains in that silly little liberal head of yours you would get off your arse and start screaming "I want my America Back" too.

Because those who support this multi-culture crap are supporting a heck of a lot of pain and suffering for a great many people. This has nothing to do with me, people have been killing each other for thousands of years because of whatever perceived differences.

The reason that the United States has lasted so long in relative domestic tranquility is because of the melting pot and the English language. That alone unifies us. - and before you start to complain about racism etc in the US, think about Rwanda, The Former Yugoslavia, Russia, Ethiopia where people are being slaughtered left and right.

That is what you are supporting.

I know that we are no better than any other group of human beings on this planet, but we have a better system. Mess with that system at your own peril. I choose to stand up and protect it.

RH

Ms. Wobbly Bits said...

Thank you for that last blog post. I have never laughed so hard. You truly are entertaining. I am aware there are laws and all kind of them are being broken every day. I would rather some poor immagrant come to the country and do all the work none of the lazy white people want to do for minimum wage and work without insurance, 401K's, any type of benefits so the boss man can get richer instead of people breakig laws kike oh..murder, rape and child molestation. I feel so sorry for people like you who are so ignorant and in your own head. Good luck with life with that attitude, old lady.

Retro Housewife said...

hipocritical is spelled "hypocritical".

RH

Jennifer said...

I so agree with your thoughts!


I am not narrow-minded, nor am I bigoted, but for crying out loud why do we have to support and cater to all those who do not desire to become citizens?! When I went to France in college I studied French so I could communicate in their language. When my brother was in Mexico on mission trips he learned Spanish to communicate with the locals. If you want to live and work in the United States, learn English. It is not a difficult thing to do. Having Spanish communication tool available for immigrants is wonderful, but give them a different number to call. All of us value our time and cutting down phone call time is such a wonderful thing. If others want to come to our country do it right: apply for citizenship, embrace our nation, learn the language, and become a productive member of society. We have enough people sitting back on their bums doing nothing and waiting on handouts!

Sane Person. said...

Wow. I couldn't wait to read this blog after viewing your site, but now I think you're disgusting.

You do realise that most Americans are immigrants, right? That you, yourself, are not native, right?

And therefore, due to your insane logic, you have no right to be there either?

Mombo said...

As polyglot I can assure you speaking a language fluently is NOT easy . As the daughter of immigrants ( not migrants as one poster said only animals and certain types of workers "migrate) We all managed to learn the language when no one accomodated us . I think everyone should make their BEST effort to assimilate outside of their homes , because this is America, and speak the official language of whatever country in which they live.

Retro Housewife said...

Re: Sane?
Have I made an error in logic? I don't think so, but it would help if you point it out. Just because what I say makes you mad doesn't mean that I am wrong.

Yes, my family came here from somewhere else, legally. They waited for years to get their visa - before they set foot on US soil.

Then they anglicized our family name, learned the language, and worked for everything they have.

My father worked at a movie theater, gave his earnings to his parents who then were able to make a down payment on a house.

Once they became citizens, they never referred to themselves as anything other than Americans. They were grateful to be here.

I am grateful to be here and it is a slap in the face of every immigrant who followed the law and waited their turn to come to allow others to sneak in by the millions.

That is disgusting.

RH

Jennifer said...

Could not agree with you, Jennifer, and Mombo more. Since when does one not do as the Romans do in Rome, but tell the Romans how to do everything, including speak and conduct business? It's absurd.

Past immigrants to this country were remarkably successful because, even in the face of true bigotry (which isn't nearly as prevalent today as it was against, oh, the Irish, the Poles, etc), they learned the language and assimilated to American culture—thereby enriching it. Modern immigrants who refuse to do so (helped along as they are by the "multicultural" asininity, which is more interested in denigrating Western civilization than being truly diverse) are harming only themselves, but they're helped along by well-meaning but not very thoughtful or logical people.

What is amazing about all this is that those of us asking for immigrants to assimilate to American culture are called the bigots, when American culture is and has been easily the most accepting, the most diverse, and the most fascinated by the exotic aspects and newness of other cultures. I suppose only the UK can match us in that respect, but Western civ as a whole has always been curious about others, even as we ask them to adopt our morals and languages.

You are dead-on, and those who refuse to acknowledge your correct deductions and understandable concerns about where this could lead us have allowed themselves to be willingly blinded.

Retro Housewife said...

If it were only true that I am just a silly racist. Truth is I have always liked foreigners and many of my friends are from elsewhere.

Everybody in my family is bi- or tri-lingual. And I refuse to let this affect how I treat people individually. I think that is what they want (they being politicians & those profiting from this...). Turn people against each other by creating life struggles.

I think they believe they are doing "good" but their moral compass is broken. Ted Kennedy is a good example of that.

Leaves a girl at the bottom of a river so he won't get caught drunk driving/cheating or whatever - and then lectures the country on morality and proceeds to expand the population willy nilly without regard for the poor and working class he is supposed to represent.

That's what I don't get. If you look at the left in any other country, they are closed border, protectionist, union loving working class defenders. Not Marin County Starbucks open border types.

It is basic economics. Increase the supply of labor, wages drop. Nobody even argues over that one.

That's why we're so screwed up. The right is defending the working class (badly) and the left is running the economy (more than badly). Everybody needs to get back in the proper corners again.

RH

flawlessly fearless forever said...

Howdy ya'll. Dearest Retro Housewife,
I super double love your page and your blog and your twitter. I am aspiring to be a retro housewife myself though it's hard to know where to start. The point of my comment is to tell you I live in north Texas and it is the same way here and I live in a small town. it's worse about 90 miles south of here in Dallas there are large areas in the metroplex where if you get lost you may never find your way out simply because there is no one to ask for directions. All the work crews are made up of mexicans and everything has bilingual translation. I am a broad minded person but honestly these things bother me too. Some may say it is racist but the fact is when your hubby gets laid off and can't find work or you slip into the low income bracket and there is no help there for you because someone who is illegally here is using the help you need suddenly you will be singing a different tune. It is extremely difficult to get across the border legally and in some cases when it is for their's or their family's safety I can understand but when it's just because they want to utilize our resources and give us nothing in return that I have a problem with. I just wanted to let you know you are not imagining this and people who have actaully had to deal with this should understand I mean where do these naysayers live? I'm assuming places closer to the Canadian border. I'm here for ya, housewives unite!!!

flawlessly fearless forever said...

oh and to stave off ignorant remarks my husband is 3/4 american indian and I am not much less than him the rest being swedish and portugese so i am not shouting about my america. I am just saying if you lie and say you make 20$ less a month on your food stamp ap and it's fraud but yet you don't even have to be a citizen of this country? that's not fraud?

Anonymous said...

I came here looking for advice and help on becoming a better housewife. Fresh ideas for looking after my husband and children and home better.
What I actually found was an extreme right political agenda. Maybe the term retro housewife is not so appropriate for this blog? sadly misleading.

I wish you well with your housekeeping but this is one blog I won't be following.

Retro Housewife said...

Allow me to refer you to this list of the responsibilities of a housewife from 1955, which are discussed in the video: Why
Study Home Economics? (1955)
. Please note number 9: "Taking an active part in community affairs to protect the interests of your family or sharing your education with others."

There is nothing about my blog that is "Extreme Right" unless you meant extremely right?

Or do you think that actually expecting the government to enforce the laws equally is an extreme position? If that is the case, you're right - I'm a real right-wingnut!

I supported the amnesty in 1986, and at the time promises were made to enforce the border. Not only did that not happen, the number of illegal border crossings increased dramatically.

So, you better believe I am speaking out! We were lied to, and what is going on now is certainly not in the best interest of my family.

Retro Housewife doesn't imply brain-dead, nor does it mean you can ignore what is going on in your community.

You sound like you are from a place like Marin - (High concentration of liberal hypocrites who espouse one set of high-horse morality rules for everyone else - but would change their tune in a heartbeat if they themselves were affected.)

I can't even take your type seriously anymore. What is the purpose of your comment? To try and brow-beat me into keeping quiet? Toss a label and run? Are you too dumb to even offer some semblance of a counter argument? Refute a point I have made, offer up an opinion that is really yours?

Don't you feel like a total idiot? You should. You're not qualified to be a housewife. Go into politics.

RH

Roisin said...

It's called free will- if you post racist and ignorant views on a public forum, people have the right to disagree with you. When you reply to these "big fat chicken cowards" you do so by name calling, becoming irate that they don't agree instead of backing up your views rationally. This is what angers people who just wanted to get housewife tips.

Anonymous said...

Another country with two languages is Wales. Described as a principality of Britain, the Welsh language has struggled to survive. The fact that it is now utilised equally with English in all government and other official forums (including bilingual road signs)is a huge achievement, and a big step towards stopping the language dying out.

Welsh, a Brythonic language, was spoken in Britain long before Anglo Saxon English arrived. It is still the first language of a reasonable proportion of the country. But until relatively recently, it was forbidden in schools, and discouraged elsewhere.

Now, the two languages co-exist peacefully. Indeed, despite having only limited Welsh myself, I enjoy having the language option at ATMs, and having leaflets etc in both languages. I look on it as an opportunity to learn more.

If Wales could only have one language, we would be the poorer for it. If it were Welsh, as historically it should be, a large proportion of natives who do not speak the language would lose their voice. If it were English, the poetry of the Mabinogion, of Welsh rhyme and song would be lost.

I was hoping for something more, when I came across your blog. I thought there might be some useful advice or thoughts to help me adapt to becoming a stay at home mum and housewife. It's my choice, it's what I want to do, but it's still a big change.

Unfortunately, I find myself so greatly opposed to your political views, that it makes me doubt whether any of the other information on your site will help me.

This is anonymous, because I don't have the relevant account necessary to post, and no real desire to set one up purely to send this.

Retro Housewife said...

Nothing I have said is racist, and is very well researched, so not ignorant either.

And referring to the big-fat chicken coward comment, Anonymous didn't say anything of substance, A. Just insulted me. Do you understand the difference?

If your comment has any substance whatsoever, I will try to respond in kind.

However, calling me a racist is just name-calling and I will also respond in kind.

You are a dork.

See?

RH

Retro Housewife said...

I did not know that about Wales, thank you for the information.

I shall read up on it.

RH

flawlessly fearless forever said...

why must those of you who don't agree with what she is saying go off on tangents that don't really make sense. I am a fan and an avid reader of this blog while I come here for retro housewife tips I greatly appreciate that our housewife friend has put some thought provoking, current event/political posts here. like she stated in one of her replies above it is completely within the definition of 'retro housewife' to talk about political issues as they pertain to her. I think it would be much more appropriate of everyone to calmly and politely join in the conversation, ask direct questions about the post that actually give her the opportunity to reply back in a calm and polite manner rather than intentionally being upsetting and making this no longer a discussion but a firing squad. That way those of us making positive comments maybe get some feedback too. after all being a retro housewife requires a certain amount of poise.

Retro Housewife said...

Thank you flawlessly fearful forever! I needed that... I didn't even realize that I wasn't responding to the positive comments - I think all the negative ones got me all flustered and upset. It does upset me when I make people so angry - I walk around wondering whether it is worth it - or whether I should just talk about snails or something.

But - it is hard for me to write about something that I haven't been mulling over in my head for awhile - and it just so happens I'm all freaked about this stupid "crisis" - not freaked like running around panicking - freaked like reading newspapers current and old looking for patterns that could foretell trouble - and survival guides - how to stash basics so that one can get through periods of chaos.

A few think I have gone off the deep end - and to be honest I hope I have.

Then I think of that line in the 4th Turning where they say: "Every 4Th turning since the 1500s has culminated in all out war - fought with maximum effort, and to decisive conclusion" (or something like that)- Rats, I think. Rats, Rats, and double Rats.

So thanks for the nice words - it cheered me up.

RH

flawlessly fearless forever said...

You are extremely welcome. It is only human nature for you to respond to the negative comments before the positive you have to defend your opinion when people are being inflammatory. No matter what don't start sugar coating your opinion that's what oppressive people want and don't be upset about people getting mad and making nasty comments it's their ignorance that angers them, the fact they don't understand, they have been misinformed, or even that they are afraid to open their minds up to someone else's point of view because they may find out they are wrong. That is not your fault. I feel that us getting our opinions out there is extremely important what if something you write changes someones life. I mean you made me realize that it wasn't degrading to WANT to be a good housewife and eventually mother and to revive the retro housewife ideals. In a way that changed my life. What if you had decided not to start your site? I would still be killing myself working and neglecting my husband and we would both still be unhappy.
I worry about the whole 2012 apocalypse thing sometimes. I researched myself into a depression at one point looking into 2012 and the government and global warming. I finally decided all I can do right now is believe that God won't give me more than I can handle. That's just my belief though. Still it creeps into my mind sometimes. My point in you're not crazy for worrying about these things. I think we all do it. As women we want to know all the information so we can protect ourselves, our families, our towns. lol. Dern maternal instinct. Okay, thank you for the quick response and your so very welcome for the kind words I meant them. You can contact me through my blog or email anytime you like.

xoxo,
flawessly fearless
in Texas

Retro Housewife said...

Flawless: I just clued in that you have a blog - so I added your blog to my list.

Also - Don't fret about 2012 - I don't put much stock in the Nostradamus predictions, the Mayan aspect of it is spooky - because I think they probably were pretty ahead of their time when it came to astronomy - so I rate that 20% believable - the biggest yikes is the possibility of an EMT caused by solar activity - (who knows - maybe they Mayans knew about that - or maybe they just got sick of making calendars...).

All we can do is live life and be prepared. I am out in Cali so I need to do that anyhoo. I went through the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco and let me tell you it is pretty annoying to only have a six pack of beer in the fridge when the city around you shuts down.

Also wanted to mention - One of the smartest things you (or anybody else) said was that you like to talk to people with different opinions.

I do too. Talking to people who agree with me is wonderful - but also limited by the fact that it gets boring patting each other on the back all day.

You learn when you talk to people you disagree with. I am glad to see there are some younger folks out there with some sense.

Now if we can just get all the boomers to retire, there may still be hope after all.

I really need to do a post about my troubles with boomers - that should go over well...

RH

flawlessly fearless forever said...

Thanks for the add!! I honestly believe that the mayans just disappeared before they could finish the calendar. lol. what is an EMT? Also thank you for the compliment. I think I am more broad minded and educated than some from my generation because I was raised my grandfather. He taught me to always thirst for knowledge. Knowledge is the only thing they can never take away;)

xo
flawlessly fearless in Texas

Retro Housewife said...

oops I am a goober.. I meant EMP

electromagnetic pulse...

http://www.empcommission.org/

Anonymous said...

I used to love the Retro housewife blog. I now log in occasionally to find Mrs Retro either talking to herself about nothing or making stupid ignorant and frequently racist comments and then petulantly arguing with anyone who disagrees with her. It is a pointless blog, nothing to do with the heart and soul of houswifery but seems to be in large part the the meandering lonely mutterings of a bored housewife. Cheers ( I am anonymous too but not because I am a chicken coward, I also would not bother to set up an account)

Retro Housewife said...

Oh go soak your head.

RH

Anonymous said...

Such a clever comeback, I am impressed.

Anonymous said...

Actually I would like to take an opportunity to be fair. I really admire your approach to Obama and the calm approach you take on cries of communism and so on. I think that your opinion on public health care is extremely balanced and remarkably open minded for someone who isn't particularly liberal. I would really just like more inspiration in relation to being a great housewife and I no longer find it here. This is a source of dissapointment to me and obviously to others as well. Cheers

Retro Housewife said...

That's fair. I go through these phases from time to time. I have been pondering writing about the housewife's role in the community - or preparing for disasters, or how to keep from going off the deep end taking care of a home, husband, kids, dogs while trying to earn enough money on internet to pay college tuition for daughter while the world is crumbling around me.

I should probably figure out an answer first, though.

RH

Anonymous said...

Well I honestly wish you the best with all of that.

Retro Housewife said...

Thanks, it's morning now here and quite sunny - things seem much better in the morning vs. 2:00 AM.

However, I just realized I forgot that the rescue mission was coming to do a pick-up at 8:00 AM and I didn't put my clearly labeled bags on the front porch as I was instructed.

Blast it all, I could kick myself. They are going to think I am such a flake.

Must take ginko baloba...

RH

champagnejayne said...

ICK. I live in LA, so dont' even GET me started about that shrimp Villagarosa (sp?) We have a great guy here on KTLA, Eric Spillman, that is trying to get this snake and all his "vacations" taken on the city's dime- a city that is laying off 25% of its' workers while Tony and his bubbleheaded girlfriend, local reporter Lu, traipse off to a vacay in Vegas, complements of all the fine taxpayers in LA. It makes us SO angry because he is so self-entitled.

champagnejayne said...

Oh, by the way, I have a BS in communication, ( Summa Cum Laude) speak Japanese, French and Mandarin fluently, yet are passed over MANY times because my SPanish skills are "marginal". Go figure!

champagnejayne said...

Don't EVEN get me started about food stamps and illegals. DON'T.

Retro Housewife said...

I already got clobbered for that - you know the funny thing about people who don't like what I say never seem to protest the government of Mexico. They do have one! That's what makes me suspicious of the motives of amnesty supporters.

They never seem to stop and say, "Wait a minute! Why isn't the Mexican government doing anything to help their people so they aren't forced to undertake a dangerous journey up north?"

Why does Mexico have an income tax rate of only 15% although it has plenty of billionaires? (Including the 3rd richest man in the world - who has even ranked 1st at times).

Why is blatant racism allowed to flourish unchecked in Mexico by the same people who scream racist here if anybody makes a peep about illegal immigration from Mexico?

I suspect that many of those people are somehow on the payroll of some wealthy Mexicans and it wouldn't surprise me if Nancy Pelosi was in their pocket - along with plenty of other politicians.

They are acting against the better interests of the people they represent - and not in the best interests of Mexican poor. If we had a free press in this country, we might find those things out.

We'll just have to wait for the next 20 year olds with a videocam to break those stories.

RH

champagnejayne said...

I don't get that. Why would someone come on a message board that YOU own to tell you that the opinion you hold is WRONG? Where do they get off? Things like that upset me, but I have to remember that they don't have a life of their own and they have to cause trouble somehow...
When my ancestors came here (LOOONG AGO) from Scotland, they didn"t speak Celtic Erse fluently, they knew they had to ASSIMILATE. I don't think RH or anyone here is saying that immigration is a bad thing, I think we're just saying that other cultures have assimilated...well... better than some other cultures. I honestly don't think I've met a Korean or Armenian that could not communicate in English... Just sayin'...

Retro Housewife said...

Yup - That sums it up. I am pro-immigration, my family came here, others should be able to, too.

It is the illegal part that I don't like - it takes away our ability to make decisions democratically. The citizens of this country should decide how many people to let in, not well-funded and fascist lobbies like La Raza.

Power to the people, I say.

RH

And power to ALL people not just the "Hispanic race", - there isn't really such a thing as a Hispanic race, I am aware of that.

getagripwoman said...

Oh my God, Mexican flags?!?!?!?!?
That's almost as sickening as all those people celebrating at St. Patrick's Day parades each year. Don't get me started on Casimir Pulaski Day. Unbelievable the way other cultural backgrounds are recognized and celebrated here in America. It's not like we're a country of immigrants or something ridiculous like that.

Retro Housewife said...

Mexican flags on Cinco de Mayo are welcome as part of the celebration of Mexican culture.

Perhaps you don't understand the appropriate analogy to make - St. Patrick's day and Cinco de Mayo = celebrations based on where we came from = Hooray! Mexican flags on Memorial Day or 4th of July, in my opinion = not appropriate.

RH

champagnejayne said...

Gees, why don't you "get a grip"?? I don't believe anything derogatory was said about immigrants, ILLEGAL immigrants was the topic.

Bill said...

Why are you so indignant and afraid little housewife? When you say with such great certainty "No other country in the world is stupid enough to try and have two languages coexist" you reveal an ignorance of even what goes on in the very nearby households of both our border neighbors (Canada - English and French) and Mexico (English and Spanish).

Instead why not try this... take your son out more often and help him understand, embrace and welcome the influences he will find in his own neighborhood and country from all the world's other cultures, nationalities and languages. He'll grow up to be a better man for it. And BTW (as I'm sure has already been made abundantly clear to you) unless you are a Native American, YOU are an "immigrant", white woman. Or did Custer and his ilk earn you the right to erase whatever history you find... unsavory?

Retro Housewife said...

Well Bill, I guess I am indignant because my family followed the law and waited, along with many others, to be allowed legal entry into the United States. They left their entire families behind, didn't start demanding visas for them - which back in those days meant that they would probably never see their family again, and was actually the case.

I expect others to follow the laws of this country too, and I guess I become "indignant" when they don't. Make sense?

I am afraid because everything that is familiar to me is disappearing, and because there are people like you out there who really seem to dislike white people and as such will have no qualms about taking out their misguided anger on any white person who is unlucky enough to find themselves in a vulnerable position.

My son speaks two languages and has experienced plenty of other cultures - but then that is rather irrelevant because that is not really the issue.

You see Bill, no matter how hard you try to ignore what I actually say, and try to construct a scenario that fits your canned response to all questions immigration, which is "Cry Racist", "Accuse Ignorance" or a merging of the two, I am not going fall into your trap of trying to prove to you that I am not ignorant or a racist.

Both are irrelevant to this discussion because I am talking about the vast numbers of people from Mexico who are coming here illegally, and are overwhelming US society's ability to integrate them in a non-disruptive and humane fashion.

As for your Canada and Mexico comments, Re: Canada - go back and actually read what I wrote, and Mexico does not have two languages. There is a big difference between a few people being bilingual and what you are trying to claim as fact.

You might want to think through your answers a bit more thoroughly because in the final analysis your arguments appear somewhat less logical than they apparently do while still in your head.

RH

Bill said...

Dear Ms. Retro - C'mon, what does your irritation over hearing a bi-lingual store announcement REALLY have to do with illegal immigration...? (And I hope you enjoyed the low prices on your produce while you were shopping... heh, heh. Wonder who picked them?)

But lets agree. Illegal immigration is illegal. Breaking the law is bad. And yes, this country should be populated and governed by the citizens of this country -- with visitors welcome.

Lets further agree. We are not bound and obligated to speak the one language you mistakenly understood is supposed to be the sole "language of the realm" just because it is what you've known all your life. You don't want to be right -- you just want to be... comfortable. But at least you admit it when you express the fear that "everything familiar to you is disappearing."

I undertstand it. It is perfectly human. Yet I pray you soon discover the spirit and human wisdom to let it evaporate. I am white -- wouldn't be a bit surprised if i was even a bit older than you -- and a transplant to SoCal from the Northeast. (Yup - that means I traded the influence of Ye Olde King for [gasp]... los indios Hispaña. YET I'M STILL ALIVE and swimming in the ocean and enjoying life and listening to The Beach Boys AND Los Lobos. I even enjoy the company (and family) of a wonderful Latina who happens to like my beard.

So to make it perfectly clear, I am not at all ignoring what you say -- just reminding you to watch the cliched spices of fear and self-righteous and misplaced cultural indignance with which you so liberally (sorry to use that word. I know how much you dislike it) pepper your blog.

This country is changing. The "Indians" said so up on the hillcrest as they watched the wagon trains below. Think of that when the hair on the back of your neck begins to bristle the next time you hear "Bienvenidos -- y welcome to K-Mart". It need not be such a threatening thing.

Bill said...

Dear Ms. Retro - C'mon, what does your irritation over hearing a bi-lingual store announcement REALLY have to do with illegal immigration? (And I hope you enjoyed the low prices on your produce while you were shopping... heh, heh, wonder who picked them?)

But let’s agree. Illegal immigration is illegal. Breaking the law is bad. And yes, this country should be populated and governed by the citizens of this country -- with visitors welcome.

Let’s further agree. We are not bound and obligated to speak the language you mistakenly thought is the sole "language of the realm" just because it is the one you've known all your life. You don't want to be right, you just want to be... comfortable. But at least you admit it when you express the fear that "everything familiar to you is disappearing."

I understand that and it is perfectly human. Yet I pray you soon discover the spirit and human wisdom to let it evaporate. I am white -- wouldn't be a bit surprised if i was even a bit older than you -- and a transplant to SoCal from the Northeast. (Yup - that means I traded the influence of Ye Olde King for [gasp]... los indios Hispaña). AND I'M STILL ALIVE and swimming in the ocean and enjoying life and listening to The Beach Boys AND Los Lobos. I even enjoy the company (and family) of a wonderful Latina who happens to like my beard.

So to make it perfectly clear, I am not at all ignoring what you say -- just reminding you to watch the clichéd spices of fear and self-righteous and misplaced cultural indignance with which you so liberally (sorry to use that word. I know how much you probably dislike it) pepper your blog.

This country is changing. The "Indians" said so up on the hillcrest as they watched the wagon trains below. Think of that moment whenever the hair on the back of your neck begins to bristle the next time you hear "Bienvenidos -- y welcome to K-Mart". You are not the first, nor will you be the last, to experience a little cultural nudge.

Retro Housewife said...

Dear Bill,

Hearing announcements in Spanish at Kohls is annoying because it is a reminder that instead of the newcomers adapting to the country they have chosen to move to, we are being forced to adapt to them.

It has to do with illegal immigration in that this is occurring because of the sheer numbers of immigrants from Mexico, who come whether the citizens here want it or not.

In a democracy, citizens are supposed to have a say, a vote if you will, in the decision making process and, dare I be so brazen to suggest, even to make the decision concerning the levels of immigration.

In fact, the citizens have absolutely no choice in the matter - illegal immigration continues unabated. This is nothing less than a subversion of the democratic process, and I am dumbfounded that you would suggest that "low prices on my produce" is somehow justification or compensation for the loss of my right to self-determination (within a democratic system).

It doesn't matter how I feel about the price of vegetables, I have no say in the matter. In fact, I would gladly pay double or triple - whatever it takes - to be able to put this decision back in the hands of the citizens of this country.

I also find it odd that you support what amounts to exploitation of poor Mexicans for the benefit of farmers and businesses who reap the profits of cheap immigrant labor but bear few of the costs. Those costs are borne instead by the American taxpayer, and low income, poorly educated citizens and legal residents. Those with the fewest options will be the ones who are hit hardest by the influx of large numbers of destitute immigrants.

We live in a world of limited resources and those resources are being diverted away from the neediest in our society.

Finally, it doesn't surprise me one iota that you are white and from the Northeast - in fact I expected that. I am also fairly certain you are a Boomer and are comfortable financially. Furthermore, if you were old enough to fight in Vietnam, you didn't, you have a college education and inherited money from your parents.

You have either purchased or have seriously contemplated purchasing a hybrid.

What will be interesting, is how you will react when circumstances occur that are no longer in your favor.

cont...

Retro Housewife said...

Finally, Finally, cultural indignation is inaccurate in that you seem to imply that I don't like Latin culture - that is not true. What I don't like is a lack of respect for my culture, combined with the insinuation that because I am "white" that I have somehow wronged the Indians or have less of a claim to live here.

My family was nowhere near the USA when General Custard was in the lobby with a hammer - nor did either Poland or Bulgaria do much in the way of settling the American frontier - not that this is something to be proud of - I would consider it an honor if my ancestors had contributed to the founding of this country.

I am a first generation American in my family, and have little in common ethnically, racially or culturally with what you really mean by "white" which is Anglo Saxon. Little, but for the fact that I would and have gladly tossed 95% of my cultural heritage to assimilate into American society.

I am no stranger to other languages and cultures either, in my immediate (childhood) family alone there are four different languages spoken - not learned in school - native speakers.

Both my kids are bilingual and when we lived in Germany, we spoke both German and English at home.

I am not afraid of foreign languages and cultures, I am afraid of the societal ramifications of what is currently taking place. It is specifically because I am not ignorant that I know this spells trouble, and in all likelihood will lead to a great deal of suffering and social unrest. I don't dislike or distrust the immigrants themselves, I DO dislike and distrust those who have allowed this situation to occur, be it due to laissez-faire or calculation.

Anybody with any sense should as well.

RH

PS - Latin America has far more to offer than "Los Lobos". And I just saw the Beach Boys in concert with an audience full of Boomers. That was something.

Bill said...

Okay Retro -- blog on and Godspeed. Just try to remember that the "Spanish" are not the "Creeps" in this windmill you are fighting. And "framing" your absolutely legitimate frustration and fear of the negative impacts of illegal immigration with what can so easily be perceived as an attack on the culture is what undermines the very legitimacy of the anti illegal immigration argument you REALLY wish to make.

Change the frame and the picture you're trying to paint will look alot better. Oh and...

The United States (and I'm not pleased about this either) is a Democracy second and a minimally regulated free market capitalist economy first. You know what that means and what we end up with -- the TRUTH that the economic boom derived from cheap illegal labor trumps our "rights" as citizens at nearly every turn. 90% of most farm labor -- illegal. Same with the guys who wash your car and make and then dry clean your clothes -- and trim your garden. The pure PROFIT derived from the small, medium, large and VERY large business owners (Capitalists! How American!) using this labor in the gross amounts they do is at the very root of your nightmare because...

A) It translates into the BMW's and McMansions they buy (dare I say "we" Retro?) and exorbitant tuitions for the private schools our kids attend (no way MY kid is going to a public school -- that's for Mexicans).

B) It puts a big COME TO AMERICA sign directly in front of the noses of the very people "South of the Border" that are causing you to hate the Spanish culture (okay, pardon the drama -- you only find it "annoying")

C) It drives the entire retail, manufacturing and consumer economy in the very direction that keeps taxes coming in and in the hands of the politicians that damn well better look the other way when it comes to "enforcing the integrity of our borders."

You see? These are not people different than you or me. They are exactly like you and me -- just neighbors looking to widen the margin between cost and profit.

Now, to finish with the housekeeping on some of the other stuff you left lying around...

You DO have a say in the price of vegetables - and other products. You certainly benefit by their low prices but you CAN avoid buying products or services derived from illegal labor. That includes going through the extra effort to find and hire a "citizen" to paint your house and whack your weeds. (Good luck with that.)

You ARE linked to the very same cultural injustices that occurred in our past (those pesky indians again) because you are merely experiencing it now from the other side. Sorry -- reality bats last in the evolution of civilization and culture and try as you might you don't have the convenience to call "time out". Oh I know you yourself wouldn't think of misplacing (and replacing) an entire culture -- but you sure don't mind deriving "all the benefits" that our great Grandpappies delivered to you because they owned cannon and Winchesters. Its part of the reason why you think you have a God given right to expect everyone to speak "English" instead of say... Chumash.

As for the personal guesses... Actually registered for the draft for Vietnam in high school. Mom wanted me to go to Canada but there was no way that was going to happen. Turns out the whole thing was wrapping up and I was too young by the time it ended. I would have gone – and I would have been wrong. Mom was actually right considering the truth of what was really going on in that ill-conceived and corrupt disaster.

I drive an SUV because I’m an American and its all our gasoline and all our oil -- other people just happen to sit on top of it (and that’s their tough luck.) But my next vehicle may be an Aptera (check it out!)

I AM going to inherit money from my parents. At least that is my plan. I am currently trying to talk them into getting back to work so they will have some to leave for me...

Retro Housewife said...

Dear Mr. Bill,

You seem a lot nicer once one gets to know you.

I didn't mean for my blog to come across as anti-Spanish - I guess I need to be more careful - and by creep I was thinking verb - not noun.

I don't have an editor - so it is quite possible that I end up sounding like an ass at times.

I get frustrated and off I go on my little keyboard. I like foreigners of all origins, I am always interested in hearing about where they came from.

I make a big separation between setting policy and human interaction - and I would never be rude or mean to anyone even if I knew they were here illegally. I understand why they do what they do, and in their shoes, I would do the same thing.

It is the mouthpieces I can't stand - the hypocrites like Nancy Pelosi who flat out betray those they are supposed to represent.

When I hear Spanish at Kohls, it is a reminder to me that those mouthpieces are destroying my home.

I will often listen to Spanish language radio to try to work on my Spanish comprehension - Super Estrella! La Mas Musica...I forget.

RH

PS Kudos for registering and glad you didn't have to go.

PPS don't blame capitalism - it is merely a method for efficient allocation of resources - not a belief system or an ideology. It is up to the homo sapiens to use it properly and compensate for the short-comings the theory of capitalism freely admits it has.

champagnejayne said...

Bill- stop trolling. I don't give a darn about your big SUV ( because you're the jerk that thinks they own the road) or your "big" inheritance from your parents ( who actually WORKED for their keep)
I'm a democrat ( yes, RH some of us can be good folks!) and I too am afraid of opening our borders pell mell, because there are a lot of dangers. Have you ever lived in a "safe" neighborhood that was completely overrun with violent gang members, who are illegal? Yeah, I didn't think so. What about the potential for terrorists to come across that border? As long as you have your ostentatious SUV and your parents' money, I guess that isn't a big problem. The fact is that a LOT of the violent crimes here in the metro LA area are committed by illegals. They know that the worst thing that can happen is that they get deported after their sentence and come back to commit more of the crimes.
I like this blog, and love what RH is doing with it. Even though we come from different party lines, there are a lot of things we can agree about. I think she makes a lot of sense, and I wouldn't mind going vintage clothes shopping with her.
If you don't agree with her, I think your time may be better spent at another site with like-minded, spoiled middle aged brats.

Retro Housewife said...

Champagnejane - Bill's OK - he stuck around and discussed the issue - I appreciate that - unlike the ones who just name call and then take off. We have got to start talking to each other if we are going to solve any of the problems we face.

Thanks for sticking up for me though, I do appreciate that.

RH

Bill said...

Pop the Champagne Jane! Geez -- you are such a rabble-rouser! Retro and I had just come to terms. Well, this oughtta clear some things up...

> You DO care about my SUV because it takes up your entire rear view mirror. (But don't worry, it will be replaced by a full-electric and not a hybrid)
> You are silly if you think after reading what I actually wrote to Retro that I am getting an inheritance from my parents. Go back and re-read please.
> Congrats on being a Democrat. I hope you know what that means because the leadership of the party doesn't seem too.
> I grew up in the South Bronx -- and THEN had parents smart and blessed enough to be able to move us out of it. So, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've seen knife fights in the streets, found a fetus in the trash, had someone slice my face when I was 8 and just sitting on my stoop -- and have also lived in a home within a gated community with a team of landscapers, a beautiful pool and a driveway with interlocking bricks, which proved to offer a very nice setting for my Mercedes at the time. Point being -- I've been on both sides.
> You are just not being honest about wanting the border closed and I'll tell you exactly why. Anyone who's ever had a flood in their basement knows exactly how to solve the problem. You sandbag the perimeter so no more water gets in. Then you mop up and pump out the unwanted water to the other side of the sandbags where it won't be where you don't want it (in your basement.) THEN you replace the temporary sandbags with something more permanent (like a wall) so no more water gets in.

See how simple? Yet I don't see you (me either) south of San Diego with shovels in our hands do I? No, instead I meet you at the produce counter salivating over the deal we're getting on our lettuce.

Please. Stop already. Build the frickin wall and guard it if that is what you think is the answer. Or pull the National Guard from Iraq and have them Guard our Nation from Mexicali instead of Tikrit. But get on with it, whatever.

RH already admitted that her "framing" of her frustration over illegals in a way that could be misconstrued as an attack on an entire Spanish culture was perhaps not the best way to go. If you look at all the initial angry replies by people like me who (mistakenly i might add) thought Retro was being racist you'll know that her actual argument against illegal immigration (one that I agree with her on 100%) got a little lost.

And speaking of getting lost... Nah -- that would be too Bronx of me. Instead... you have a nice day. And tell Ret she's cool with me.

Christian Viau said...

"Imagine the time and money we are wasting with this politically correct hogwash. No other country in the world is stupid enough to try and have two languages coexist."

ummm...your kind neighbor to the north of you, they call it "Canada"...umm..they have both English and French coexisting side by side on an equal basis, both naturally and legislatively. This situation has been in existence since the British (and British Americans) conquered what are now the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec back in the mid 1700's.

The more you know.

Christian Viau said...

I forgot to add in, French in Canada is spoken in more tha njust the Province of Quebec, its quite wide spread in in other provinces, especially in the Atlantic ones (NB, NS, PEI).

As for the independence thing..yeah there is still a movement for it, but in the last ten years that movement has waned and those wanting for such a thing to happen can only garner around 35% of the vote in Quebec. So there is no longer any real threat of separation.

I understand your point that you wish new immigrants (legal or not) learn English quickly in order to adapt. But with a neighbor like mexico and a huge, poor poulation making their way north and establishing themselves, you don't really have a "choice" anymore. Not with the numbers of LAtino's in America now. Perhaps is something had been done, 20 or 30 years ago about this, but no longer, not anymore.

All be told whats left of the Englsih speaking USA should rather look forward and to the north to form a "North American Union" (like the EU in Europe) with Canada. That way your views on citizenship, nationhood, etc would better mesh with other white north Americans & Canadians.

Retro Housewife said...

Um, Read this about my neighbor to the north:

Quebec Separatism Or This

More Quebec Separatism - Thank you for making my point for me - The last time there was a serious attempt at secession in the United States, They called it the Civil War, and more Americans died than in all other American wars put together. I consider that a bad thing. Perhaps you think death and destruction are exciting? You do realize that French is spoken in Quebec, and English in the rest of Canada - since you mention the languages are spoken "side by side" -I am assuming you mean geographically as in "Quebec is right beside the rest of Canada". I have only been to Canada only 3 or 4 times, (never to Quebec) - but I neither heard nor saw a trace of the French Language - except at the airport. So, I am going to say that your example bolsters my case more than anything.

I am really curious as to why people keep bring up the same old tired examples of Canada, Switzerland, Belgium - as if I have never heard of them. I have been to all of those countries - Several times. I speak German fluently as well as passable French when need be. Two summers ago I was bopping around Switzerland for the Eurocup for a week - and guess what they did not speak in Basel? Anything but German - Here is the official website of the Kanton Basel-Stadt it is in German. There are links for the site in the other 3 official Swiss languages - can you name the 3 official Swiss languages? - but I had to look a bit to find them.

I remember we were at a gas station on the Autobahn - I think we were in Italy at this point - trying to ask for directions and I speak no Italian so I saw a Mercedes with Swiss plates and asked the guy for directions in German - except that he didn't speak German only French. Imagine that!

I also remember going skiing in what the Germans refer to as Sued Tirol - but it is actually in Italy and the locals speak a funny brand of Austrian/German dialect - and guess who they really, really don't like? Italians! In the entire village resort, there was one unlucky family from the South of Italy on vacation there - and I am glad they didn't speak German so they didn't understand what was being said about Italians.

I was only 18 or 19 at the time and was amazed at this - because I thought Italians were the bee's knees - and still do, actually - except those from Firenze who according to the Sicilians are all thieves. I found that bit of information out while spending a month in Sicily - and as can be expected in Italy, we were robbed. By a couple from Firenze - as luck would have it - except that it wasn't luck at all. We happened to be staying in a pensione run by the widow of the former police chief of Cefalu. Any Sicilian would know better than to steal from guests of the widow of the former Police chief. The local police took this as a personal insult found the couple, and booted them right off of Sicily - even though they couldn't really prove they were the thieves.

I believe they also told them never to come back - meaning it would not be healthy.

Kind of a funny story, really when you think about it - but I guess what I am trying to say is that I have drawn the conclusions I have based on observation of how things play out elsewhere.

There is one lousy example in history of a peaceful separation of one country into two - and that is the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Interestingly enough, they drew the line along linguistic borders.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of examples of violence, bloodshed, horror upon horror committed against people who were not one's own people and the way you usually decide who is or is not "your people" is by whether you can talk to them or not. IE Language. So, the more you know, what?

RH

Retro Housewife said...

Sorry, I am not going to fall for your racial bullshit. This is not about race.

Skin color is irrelevant. It is what happens when a person opens their mouth and makes noise that matters.

An American is an American is an American whether their physical appearance indicates Asian, African, European or whatever ancestry.

RH

Not accepting double standards said...

Good for you for saying something that needs to be said, Retro Housewife.

Your detractors are either brainwashed self-loathers or non-white racist bigots themselves. They have completely bought into the "white people are uniquely evil and thus have no right to defend themselves" narrative that has dominated left wing thought for the past 50 or so years. Every other group of people have aggressive, race based pressure groups (like La Raza) to advance their racial goals. To think such groups are innocuous is to be naive. They don't want "racial equality"- they hate white people.

White Americans have every right to want to protect their land and their way of life. To support that right is to celebrate diversity. If white Americans were to do to another country what the Hispanics are doing to the US, your shrill detractors would be screaming "Imperialism!" from the top of their lungs.

Bill said...

DOUBLE STANDARDS… Hmmmm, let me get this straight. Your logic is that “non-white” Americans (your countrymen, by the way) hate white people and believe “white people are uniquely evil and thus have no rights to defend themselves.” You further believe that all the individual groups of non-white people huddle amongst themselves creating “aggressive, race-based pressure groups to advance their racial goals.”

So, in other words (and in your own little bleak and sordid world) America’s population, which inarguably is comprised of many different, welcome and celebrated races, is nothing but a dangerous collection of non-whites who rightfully hate whites because whites are evil.

Saving the best for last, you conclude that as a result of the above, white Americans have “every right to protect their land and way of life” because to do so is “to celebrate diversity.”

W-O-W. I bet they’ve saved a special seat for you right up front at Harvard.

Boiled down to its essence, your logic is that every American is a racist and that the only way for white Americans to defend themselves is to consolidate behind an aggressive White Supremacist offense (offense being the best defense, of course) so that the “white” land and “white way of life” will persevere. (And what, exactly, is that “white way of life”?)

Now I trust I use the term White Supremacist with proper forethought and accuracy for you, but feel free to correct me. You may do so by simply and honestly stating you are perfectly comfortable living in an America where the white race does not prevail.

In conclusion, I imagine you live on some small, out-of-the-way compound in Idaho. Perhaps even a few swastikas adorn the mirror in which you shave your head.

I pray therefore, and thankfully, for just two things. One is that you have no children to teach. Two is that our "black" President has the strength and wisdom to lead us all to a place beyond where your narrow little mind has the ability to conceive.

You are the worst example of a “white American” I’ve ever read. And I’m “white” myself.

Retro Housewife said...

Yeah, Bill, DOUBLE STANDARDS…didn't say anything of the sort. He pointed out that groups like La Raza operate to further the interests of their race.

He pointed out the double standard of this, as if white people had a similar organization, to further the interests of white people, it would be decried as racist.

You need to READ the comment carefully and then reply to what the person has ACTUALLY SAID. Not just recite your little memorized bit of propaganda.

Otherwise it is just boring, and you come across as an idiot.

RH

Bill said...

Dear RH -- Don't defend this fool. I used his quotes VERBATIM. I'll repeat it here for you since you seemed to miss it the first time... "Every other group of people have aggressive, race based pressure groups (like La Raza) to advance their racial goals. To think such groups are innocuous is to be naive. They don't want "racial equality"- they hate white people."

I know people in La Raza and they don't hate white people. Unequivocally DOUBLE's conclusion is that every other race hates white people. And he further defends a retributive white racist position with this little diddy... "White Americans have every right to want to protect their land and their way of life. To support that right is to celebrate diversity."

You defend this? As a "celebration of diversity?"

I've read your earlier posts and you seem quite comfortable with the treasures and blessings of American diversity.

So stop. Unless, of course you've changed your tune. Then, if that tragedy is true, I dare both you AND your DOUBLE STANDARD co-hort to categorically list in your next post all those things that represent "White land" and the "White way of life" (Again -- verbatim.)

I hope you really don't take the time for all our sake. (Let DOUBLE do it. Sounds like he's had some practice.)

Retro Housewife said...

Race is a non-issue to me. It is stupid to judge a person solely on race. Good, bad and ugly come in all colors. That goes for any way we choose to group people, short, tall, fat, skinny, American, Mexican, German etc.

What concerns me is when others don't share that outlook. I don't believe La Raza is as innocuous as you seem to think. I have done some research into its origins and have seen video of the founder declaring his intention to "kill the whites" if they must.

Also, when Sonia Sotomayor was nominated for the Supreme Court, the La Raza website was sanitized - they removed some of the more offensive content. I am telling you this based on my own observations.

But it should be obvious to anyone where their allegiances lie based on their name and their mission statement.

I find that offensive, exclusionary, and hypocritical. Just try this - take their mission statement and substitute "white" for Latino or Hispanic and see how that grabs you.

I have a white, male son, and that has caused me to use a different set of ears when listening to the rhetoric of our times. I do not like what I am hearing.

RH

Bill said...

RH - I'm happy (still) to hear race is a non-issue for you. I do believe you based on our past posts. And yet look... that one initial un-intentioned blog you wrote on "Spanish Creep" has attracted enough separatists and race-mongers to fill an Aryan rec center.

I don't envy your position. You set out to sincerely express a concern about a seeming encroachment of a foreign culture on your general perception of what your country's culture should be and all of a sudden you're either the flag bearer for White Supremacy or a target for every hyper-sensitive self-ordained officer of the Racial Equality Police.

Hell, some of your visiting posters even get MY dander up on the matter.

God bless you and your son and family and all of us, of all races, in this country. I hope we never forget WE are ALL in this TOGETHER.

Not Accepting Double Standards said...

Thanks, Bill, for providing an examply of the frothing at the mouth lunacy that the left wing feels is necessary to defend their double standards.

Merely framing an issue in recognizing white racial concerns causes people like you to fly into a rage. Why is that? If groups like La Raza are a ok, then why is anything discussing white people "eeevil" and obviously the product of some sub-human intellect?

I'm not a white supremacist of Klansmen or anything of the sort. I just wrote something that, if it said anything other than "white," would be read by people like you and not given a second thought.

Not Accepting Double Standards said...

"I find that offensive, exclusionary, and hypocritical. Just try this - take their mission statement and substitute "white" for Latino or Hispanic and see how that grabs you.

I have a white, male son, and that has caused me to use a different set of ears when listening to the rhetoric of our times. I do not like what I am hearing."

RH,

I agree with you completely and sympathize with you. That's why I felt compelled to write in and defend you. I'm a young (late-twenties) married white guy, with a 2 year old daughter and another on the way. Contrary to Bill's depiction of me, I'm a well paid, well educated (not Harvard, but a top tier/elite school nonetheless)professional who lives and works in the suburbs of DC. I'm concerned about the future of this country, mainly because we've eschewed the idea of the "melting pot" in favor of "multi-culturalism."

I've seen first-hand what mass illegal immigration does to a town. My wife was born and raised in a DC exurb. Within the past 10 or 12 years, illegal immigration has transformed her town from a stereotypical suburb into a crime-ridden slum. The population has gone from about 5% hispanic to majority hispanic. You have people paving their front yards, living 15 people to a house, and using their back yards as latrines. Violent crime, previously unheard of in the area, has spiked, complete with murders, rapes, mugging, etc. The schools and social services have been pushed beyond their limits trying to deal with this influx, thereby degrading the quality of services for everyone. Wages for working class jobs have fallen, and unemployment for whites and blacks has risen.

This is a complete cultural transformation. The locals didn't vote for it or consent to it; in fact, much of it violates the laws of the nation, the state, and the locality. Nevertheless, people like Bill and his ilk are there to scream "RACIST! FASCIST! KKK!" whenever the white people who have had their community stolen from them complain (while simply ignoring the black people who complain). In fact, after locals (both whites and blacks) started becoming targets of Latino hate crimes, the local sheriff started a policy of stepped-up immigration enforcement; this move brought down the wrath of groups like La Raza and the ACLU, and CNN was there to demonize this racist little Virginia town for not gleefully accepting its own demise.

I don't accept the worldview of hypocrites like Bill and others. I know that if the situation described above were in the reverse, if whites invaded a town in the Yucatan or in Benin or Indonesia, become the dominant racial/cultural group in the town, ignored the local laws, and forced the locals to deal with their presence, then they'd scream "Imperialism!" They'd be right in doing so, because it would be imperialism. However, if it's wrong for whites to do that, then it's wrong for other groups to do that to white (or, more precisely, white/black integrated) communities) here in the USA.

The secret behind Bill's outrage is that he and others like him are actually racist. They just have the left wing variety of racism, which is the acceptance of the "noble savage" concept. They don't think that other groups of people have the capacity to truly harm white people. Thus, they equate legitimate white fear to bullying helpless people. Their problem is that they don't know enough about history. All people and cultures have capacities for creativity and good; however, all people and cultures have the capacity for cruelty, racism, and imperialism- ESPECIALLY when they've been taught for decades or more that they have justified grievances against some "other."

I'm all for racial equality and harmony, but I'm not so naive as to think that there aren't people out there who hate me for the color of my skin.

Not Accepting Double Standards said...

Sorry for flooding your blog, RH, but I have one more thing to add.

I, like many other Americans, am of German descent. Imagine if there was a mass movement of Americans of German descent. I could call it something like "Nationaler Verein des Deutsche Volk im Amerika" (or "das Volk" for short).

Our stated principal would be to defend the rights of the German people who live in the North American German living space ("lebensraum") and advance the rights of Germans throughout the world. We would have rallies tens of thousands of people strong in DC, waiving German, Austrian, and Swiss flags while burning American flags demanding, among other things:

-A government apology and reparations for state sponsored violence against German communities in the US during the First and Second World Wars

-A government apology for agreeing to the Shame Paragraph (German War Guilt clause) of the Treaty of Versailles, as well as for the hypocritical failure to apply the principles of national self determination to the German peoples (including, among other things, forbidding German Austria from joining the rest of Germany after WW1 despite the wishes of 90%+ of the Austrians- even going so far as forbidding an independent Austria from calling itself German Austria)

-that the US rescind diplomatic recognition to Russia and Poland until they apologize for the ethnic cleansing of millions of Germans from East Prussia that took place after WW2.

-that the US use its role on the UN Security Counsel to 1. sponsor the elevation of Germany and Austria to Counsel membership and
2. to push for the US to recognize Germany's 1937 borders rather than the Oder-Neisse line imposed by the USSR and made viable through massive ethnic cleansing.

-the implementation of mandatory German language classes in primary and secondary schools so as to preserve our cultural distinctiveness

Das Volk would also sponsor a variety of social programs, but we'd limit our support solely to how those programs advance our ethnic group.

Sounds frightening, doesn't it? A group of people, only half assimilated, with esoteric historical grievances and ethnically centered social beliefs, angrily demanding that the government accede to its demands (with vague threats of violence if the demands aren't met). Imagine that.

Bill, if you're o.k. with La Raza and MEChA, then I don't see why you'd have any problem with my hypothetical das Volk.

Retro Housewife said...

And there you have it in a nutshell. The real racists are the ones who think that whites are so superior, they are immune from the hideous effects of racism.

You are correct, their underlying assumption is that non-whites are intrinsically harmless and worthy only of our pity.

They view themselves as grandiose philanthropists, sticking up for the poor and downtrodden.

Bill seemed completely unfazed by the "kill the whites" La Raza statement, instead focusing on some imaginary KKK comments posted here. (There are none).

I am dumbfounded, really, that this open, direct threat can simply be ignored. I consider it a threat - I don't care what color you are - if you say that, I am going to take you seriously.

Here's the thing. Half of my family hails from the Balkan region of Europe. Before the arrival of the more colorful sort, we were considered "ethnic".

Had multiculturalism been in vogue at the time of my father's arrival, perhaps we would have carried on some traditions of the old country. Like fighting with the Serbs or Armenians, or Greeks, or Turks.

My grandfather wrote down our family history and describes an uncle of his - quite a character really, who sells his house to finance his Cheta - (militia) and goes off to the mountains to fight the Serbs. Why, I'm not sure - but as I remember my grandfather telling me that everybody hates the Serbs, I assume that fighting the Serbs was the thing to do.

I can chuckle about this, because for me, as an American, I have nothing against Serbs. I wouldn't know a Serb if one bit me on the ankle.

Am I glad we left that little bit of culture back in the old country. I have absolutely no interest in selling my house to finance my Cheta.

RH

Bill said...

Not true at all DOUBLE. And since my post said nothing about my politics I'm curious at how you knee-jerked your way into assuming I'm liberal. Is it that when you're a hammer everything else looks like a nail?

You're engaging in a conversation about race and proposing that we "white's" defend our turf and our "way of life." The fundamental mistake you make is engaging in that conversation at all instead of redirecting it. Your way leads where my friend? Yup -- the only place it can -- to a nation prioritizing racial enclave instead of harmony based on mutual benefit. Years ago this country set to educating us to set our ethnic allegiances aside in the interest of the common good for mutual benefit.

Your "draw-bridge up" response to any person of any ethnicity that may not be as educated and enlightened as we all need to eventually be regarding "race" sets us back instead of moving us forward.

Did I use a little over-the-top drama to make my point? Yeah. No doubt. But the essence of what I've said before and what I say herein remains prevalent.

Don't reflect any perceived (or real)racism with that of your own. (Dare I say Our own, as a "white")

It gets us nowhere -- collectively.

Retro Housewife said...

Bill, How dead does one have to shoot you before you feel threatened? These are not the times for "over the top drama" the situation is dramatic enough.

BTW, Have you heard about the US consulate workers shot dead in Mexico? They used real bullets and everything.

RH

Bill said...

Dear RH - Yes, read about the news over the weekend. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Clearly every indication is the "drug wars" have claimed two more American victims. One or both U.S. Hispanics -- who had just started their family.

I trust you are suggesting things are not as they should be in Mexico. I also trust (pray maybe?) you are NOT framing the killings as racially motivated against "us white's". Realistically, that would be the silliest thing the outlaw narcos of Mexico could do -- since we up here "el Norte" are the ones buying most of the drugs they're importing!

Retro Housewife said...

All I hear is American consulate workers shot. I don't care what ethnicity they are.

I am suggesting that Americans have been gunned down for whatever reason, and whoever did it is my enemy. I don't quite understand what is going on, or who is behind the incredibly well funded pro-amnesty lobby, but of one thing I am certain: They do not give a rat's ass about Americans or the millions of destitute Mexicans they induce to cross the border.

Stupid is no protection. It was stupid for Hitler to march his troops into the Russian winter but the lunatic did it anyway.

It was stupid for us to go fight a war in Iraq, but we did it anyway.

It is stupid for us to give billions in aid to Hamas, but we do that anyway.

It is stupid for us to allow the likes of Nancy Pelosi and that Murdering B**d Ted Kennedy anywhere near positions of power.

Check out what is going on with corruption charges amongst Homeland Security agents along the border. Do a little research.

We are busily turning ourselves into Mexico. Who's that going to help? With the exception of the drug mafia and Mexican elite. They do have rich people in Mexico, you know. They want to stay that way, so they let us take care of their poor people for them. Neato, isn't it?

RH

Retro Housewife said...

NADS - That all sounds so very familiar - where have I heard all that before?

But, I think the logic of your analogy is correct. Can you imagine the uproar? It gives me a headache just thinking about it.

RH

Not Accepting Double Standards said...

--Not true at all DOUBLE. And since my post said nothing about my politics I'm curious at how you knee-jerked your way into assuming I'm liberal. Is it that when you're a hammer everything else looks like a nail?--

Gee, Bill, I don't know why I'd think that you are a raving leftist. Maybe it was your post chastizing RH for being defensive of her culture on the grounds that Europeans conquered America and thus their descendents are getting their comeuppance from fate.

Or maybe it when, despite that diatribe about our grandparents, you got offended by me characterizing your view as being that white people have no right to defend themselves from any potential retribution (retribution that you appeared to tacitly approve in your conquest post)

Or maybe it was when you called me an ignorant skinhead for suggesting that there may be a white culture in America and that that culture just might be distinct from other cultures in the world.

Gee, I just don't understand how I could think that you're at least a social leftist.

Bill said...

DOUBLE (and RH of course) - La Raza is not Mecha, just as you all (I know I know) are not KKK. And, yes, of course, hate groups exist in every race, creed and unmonitored schoolyard. DS, the amount of effort you detailed in the construct of your Germanic overlay is to what point really? Bad people exist? We should defeat racism by becoming racist ourselves? Germans are scary but Hispanics are really, really, really scary?

Point of fact. You are waaaaaay crazy if you think we are going be forced by some “fringies” of ANY race to give back state territory. We will not return the SW to Mexicans. We will not annex a portion of the deep south to become an inviolate extension of Africa. I’m not going to have to drive through a checkpoint to get to Little Tokyo tonight, and I think Idaho is probably safely ensconced in our Republic despite the wishes of those hate-filled white clans living on the compounds in the foothills of the Rockies. (And by the way, I wouldn’t hold your breathe on “reparations” either.)

Now, does all that stuff make good press? You bet. Is it believable? C’mon. You should know better. All those stories are designed to do is what they’ve succeeded in doing to you -- scare you to the point of running toward the opposite fringe.

“Bienvenidos y welcome to Kohl’s” is not the clarion call to an enemy invasion.

STOP wasting time erecting walls cemented by a quarried rationale for parochially defining our differences as a defense against your fellow Americans. DON’T fail your children and throw away the years and years of progress in our education and enlightenment (not to mention pain and bloodshed and injustice) that we’ve all made in an effort to change our Union’s old racist practices.

You owe yourself that. You owe those kids of yours. As I do mine.

Retro Housewife said...

No Bill, His point is that if you take exactly what La Raza says and does and substitute German for Hispanic that even you should be able to see how racist it is.

RH

Not Accepting Double Standards said...

Bill,

My point with my hypothetical was to show (using a white ethnic group for effect) that racial / ethnic pressure groups have no place in a society that is supposed to be striving towards color blindness and race neutrality.

If such groups persist, then I think it makes sense to be suspicious of them. Especially when: 1. that pressure group is drawing strength from the illegal immigration of millions of its members, who come into areas and actively disrespect the people who were there before them and their laws; 2. the more radical members of that group harbor irredentist claims against the country; 3. Me and my family are members of a racial/ethnic group that at least some of that pressure group view as enemies.

I'm going to teach my children to evaluate the worth of each person as an individual, regardless of race or class. That does not mean, however, that I'm going to teach them that they should be ashamed of who they are because of the color of their skin, or that they should allow themselves to be victimized because of some real or imagined historical grievances.

Irridentism or widespread racial violence may be farfetched now, but who knows what the future will bring? If current demographic trends hold, then by 2050 whites will be an aged minority in this country and in the world at large. Hispanics will be a vibrant, youthful, and ever growing segment of the population.

Unless they disband their racial pressure groups and do away with the notion that the US properly belongs to them (a sentiment that you apparently agree with...) and unless the PC notion of "whites are history's bad guys" is discarded for the falsehood that it is, then I wouldn't rule out violence. I'm surely not going to tell my kids that such violence is impossible unless such things change.

Regardless, RH has voiced a legitimate concern. Attacking her for her concern is inexcusable, especially since you wouldn't have done so if she weren't a white lady.

Bill said...

I, uh, don't think I beat up white ladies (but let me check my records.) Since you like to assume a bunch I'll forgive you that little drama. More important is reality. 99.999% of U.S. Hispanics (and those beyond our borders) don't believe the U.S. belongs to them.

If they did they wouldn't risk their lives trying to sneak in, they'd just hitch up the wagon trains and head North (sound familiar? Oh -- that was West wasn't it.)

In the end, if you truly believe Hispanics are the next locusts -- then maybe it is best you stay up in your tree fort.

I just feel very sorry that an otherwise seemingly literate and learned man would choose to live your life that way. But, hey, it IS your life.

Retro Housewife said...

Maybe I should stay out of this, but NADS never said anything which could be construed as thinking of Hispanics as locusts.

I do think things are going to turn violent, for a number of reasons. Just consider times in history when violence has occurred.

How many people do you think were actually expecting it?

RH

Bill said...

No worries RH. Glad to hear from you. DS was worried I had beaten you up -- but I know you can hold your own. BTW - this just in:
"... the Aztecas street gang and the drug organization La Linea may have had a hand in the U.S Consulate shootings" according to the El Paso Times.

She was Hispanic -- with a small baby in the back seat and apparently, she was also four months pregnant. I wonder if that will get used to prove someone's point...

Retro Housewife said...

God that poor woman and her baby. She was an American who perhaps was killed for being an American.

There had better be some action from our side against whoever did that. Not that the 9,000 casualties of Mexico's drug war aren't horrific enough.

My heart goes out to her family. =(.

RH

Loui said...

VOX POPULI VOX DEI.. it means the voice of the people is the voice of god. La voz del pueblo es la voz de dios in Spanish. I think that you have to evolve, and realize that you have become part of a minority. There is nothing wrong in posting you'r ideas, but as human being you have to decide to change (adapt) or die. Good luck with ur choosing

Anonymous said...

I think your problem is only with Mexican illegals, not all Spanish people, but when you lump all Spanish-speaking people together throughout your post, it does sound racist, even though this may not be your intention. There are over twenty very different, unique countries where Spanish is the main language, but these countries' cultures are as diverse as England and the United States, two English-speaking countries. Many other groups of Spanish people have successfully and legally assimilated to life in the U.S.